• 2tsp vegetable oil
• 500g lean pork chunks (such as leg or shoulder)
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 carrots, sliced
• 250g swede, chopped
• 250g potatoes, chopped
• 1 chicken stock cube
• 100g ready-to-eat dried apricots, halved if large
• ¼tsp ground ginger
• 2tsp dried mixed herbs
• 2tsp cornflour, blended with 2tsps of water
• Chopped fresh parsley or coriander, to garnish
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/gas 5.
2. Heat a large flameproof casserole dish on the hob and add the vegetable oil, brushing it over the base. Add the pork chunks, letting them sear and brown before turning them over. Cook for 3-4 mins until browned on all sides.
3. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, swede and potatoes, stirring well. Pour in 450ml (3/4 pint) water. Bring up to the boil, then crumble in the chicken stock cube. Add the apricots, stir in the ginger and mixed herbs, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hr.
4. Stir the blended cornflour, then add it to the casserole, stirring until thickened. Cook for 2-3 mins. Serve, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or coriander.